School Resource Officer
Sag Harbor Union Free School District
200 Jermain Avenue
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
The Sag Harbor Union Free School District's School Resource Officer is responsible for the districtwide school safety program which is intended to protect Sag Harbor's students and staff in support of the district's educational goals.
Through the collaboration, communication, and continuous improvement, the School Resource Officer:
1) Patrols the building(s) working towards ensuring a safe environment.
2) Works collaboratively with school administrators, local law enforcement officials, parents, students, faculty, and community members promoting school safety.
3) Presents to students on issues such as school safety laws, school building safety plans, and safety procedures, etc. These presentations occur in both the classroom and in parent gatherings.
4) Works with building administrators to create building and district level safety plan(s).
5) Works with administrators, students, faculty, and staff in practicing safety drills.
6) Attends county-wide school safety updates and trainings.
Under the terms of Section 211 of the Retirement and Social Security Law and Section 80-5.5 of Commissioner's Regulations, Mr. McLaughlin is approved for service as the School Resource Officer. As a retired police officer, this approval is required so that Mr. McLaughlin does not lose his previously earned pension rights.